Baked Potatoes with Black Beans and Broccoli-Red Pepper Cheese Sauce (Serves 4)
4 large potatoes
1 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 T. olive oil
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 small red bell pepper, cut into thin slices
1 12 oz. package frozen chopped broccoli
2 T. butter
2 T. flour
1 1/2 c. milk
1-1 1/2 c. sharp cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste
your favorite jarred salsa
1. Depending on time, put the potatoes in the oven to bake (1 hour @ 350 degrees) or microwave them according to the settings on your microwave (mine has a potato button).
2. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and saute until they are softened. It's okay if the bell pepper is a little crunchy. Add the broccoli and cook until the broccoli is heated. Add the butter to the skillet and stir until melted. Add flour and stir to coat everything. When veggies are well coated, add the milk, stirring frequently to prevent lumps.
3. Meanwhile, heat black beans in microwave or on stovetop.
4. Back to the sauce: continue stirring frequently until sauce has thickened. When sauce is desired thickness, add cheese and stir until everything is melted together. Taste. Add salt, pepper, and more cheese if necessary.
5. Top baked potatoes with black beans, sauce, and salsa if desired.